|ARE YOU EXPERIENCING DOMESTIC ABUSE?
Before you say no, take this test.
Leave Abuse and Define You
|Domestic violence eats away at the heart of families like an untreated disease. Nearly
one-third of American women report being physically or sexually abused by a husband
or boyfriend at some point in their lives.
–Commonwealth Fund survey, 1998
In 1996, among all female murder victims in the U.S., 30% were slain by their
husbands or boyfriends.
– Uniform Crime Reports of the U.S. 1996, Federal Bureau of Investigation, 1996
A child’s exposure to the father abusing the mother is the strongest risk factor for
transmitting violent behavior from one generation to the next.
– American Psychological Association Presidential Task Force on Violence and the Family, 1996
- Lack of money
- No where to go
- Do not know how to leave
- Spiritual reasons
- Cultural reasons
- Lack of support
- Doesn't know they're being abused
- Social status
- Does not work
- Limited education
- Blames self
- Minimizes risk of death
|WHY PEOPLE STAY IN ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIPS
1. Does your partner call you names?
2. Has your partner ever threatened to harm you?
3. Does your partner tell you not to talk to people?
4. Does your partner hit, push, kick or throw things at you?
5. Are you blamed for things that go wrong in your relationship?
6. Does your partner make you have sex when you don’t want to?
7. Do you have control over the money you make or how money is spent?
8. Can you tell your partner how you really feel without being afraid of being hurt?
9. Does your partner cheat on you?
10. Has your partner used God or the Bible to control you?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, we hope you can be honest about your
feelings, your relationship and how your are being treated.
Physical abuse is painful, but so is emotional abuse. You have a right to be treated
with respect, dignity and love. You must be honest, at least with yourself, about the
abuse before you can end the abuse and protect you and your family.
Help, love and support are here if you want to stay in your relationship, separate from
your mate or even if you can’t decide. We just want you to take care of you. Give us a
call. We are here to help.
|THE REAL QUESTION: CAN ABUSERS BE STOPPED?